Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thoreau

On Tuesday we read about Henry David Thoreau and how he went to live in the woods to escape from society. I feel that Thoreau went to very great extremes to so escape his society. He said "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life..." Thoreau was trying live life simply without the uses of modern technology from his time. He wanted to live in the moment without having anything control his life. I can relate to that completely. It seems that today technology is controling our lives. I mean look at us right now we are on our computers and using our cell phones constently. They seem to be controling us. I feel that we need to as Thoreau said "We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aid..." which basically means that we need to learn how to live life again without technology and reopen our lives back to socialization.

3 comments:

  1. I love the quote you chose, from Thoreau, to explain your point of view. There are so many mechanical aids that we all depend upon. What would life look like without them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can agree with Thoreau with trying to live life without technology controling his life. I try not to let technology control my life but I am attached to my cell phone. I also do not think that our society can revert to being nondependent on our tecchnology. We probably are not going to go back to being the open sociable society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is impossible to live without the uses of technology in this day, unless you did just as Thoreau did and seperate yourself from the outside world.

    ReplyDelete