Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fahrenheit 451

I find it rather interesting that Clarisse has been able to make Montag almost fully second guess what he is doing with his life. Clarisse is a girl who has done something that most people in the society have seem to have forgotten, she has taken time to notice the world around her. Clarisse and her family are very different than the other families in this society. Montag knows what happens if someone is found to have books, which are banned. His whole profession is to set fires, he's a fireman. The thought of a fireman being someone who set fires kinda caught me off guard because I'm so used to hearing that word and thinking of the heroes who put the fires out. Yet even though Montag knows that if he is caught with what he has hidden in the vent of his house he will be punished he still keeps them. One of the people in my group related the firemen to the KGB and now that I look more at it I can see it. The firemen burn down buildings in a form of book burnings and the KGB preformed book burnings.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I found it very strange that Clarisse could make him second guess his life after just meeting her. I love that fact that she takes time to notice the even the littlest things. The point about the KGB is a very good point that I hadn't even thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its scary to think that there is such a power over people like this. And like the KGB I also think of the gestapo. Some kind of over bearing figure where you do wrong in the eyes of the leader you're a heretic. I believe hell keep books from here on out and become an avid reader of those books. I could see Guy also disappearing in the end for a possible newly found love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very odd that Clarisse can really take notice to the world around her and make Montag second guess everything he does. It kinda goes along with her disappearance, it's just too strange.

    ReplyDelete